Well I toughed it through another week of American Idol. Sure David Cook is a great entertainer, sure David Archuleta could sing the dictionary and it would sound good, and sure Syesha is tremendously attractive, but who cares. Now before the women in the audience get upset with the above sentence, let me assure you that I think Syesha is a wonderful singer. Is she as good as the David's, well no. But she is good. But to me her singing talent are overshadowed by her infectious personality, and her stunning good looks. Kinda begs the question "Why the David Cook picture dude". Well I'm lazy, and it was the first one I found relating to Idol.Now back to the subject of this post. I've watched every season of American Idol since Season Two. I enjoy the opening rounds a little more than I should, and I really pull hard for the attractive women in the contest. But does the outcome really make a difference. Well it certainly doesn't make a difference to me. Out of the top 12 Finalists from this season, half of them are assured record deals, and two or three more could end up adding to the din of the airwaves in the near future. So next week when the Davids take the stage for what promises to be a spectacle about as exciting as a World Cup Soccer match, I will be watching, but I won't really care who wins.
The whole Idol synergy is really quite impressive. In two weeks, as many people vote for Idol as voted in the last presidential election. That doesn't speak very highly of the aspirations of our country as a whole, but it is what it is. Idol is a popularity contest. Chicks dig it, kids dig it, dudes dig it, and your mom digs it. It is everywhere. So it's not too difficult to see what the attraction is. It's the same attraction that drew us to Grey's Anatomy, and Lost. It's the same reason we watch the Super Bowl when we haven't seen a professional game all year. And it's the same reason we tune in to watch the Oscars each and every year. Americans like to feel like they are part of something. We like to belong. When we go to school next Thursday, we need to be able to talk about the show. When we show up at work, we need to know who won. During our morning bike session at the gym, we really need to know how sexy Cook was the previous night. If we can do these things, we can be part of the collective. At the end of the day, isn't that what everyone needs.
No comments:
Post a Comment